Biatchy Bloggers

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Nyonya in NYC















So, I was in the City for a few days last week, and realized that, despite my having been there quite a number of times now, this is the absolute FIRST time I've seen Central Park with LEAVES on the trees, since all my previous trips have been made in winter. The City in summer is so much nicer--especially since you have to walk everywhere, and it helps to not be freezing your arse off. Here's a part of Central Park just outside of the Strawberry Fields, with some random cyclist obstructing my composition (it's Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.--don't these people have to WORK?)

Anyway, Al asked that I post some non-pasta-related photos, so perhaps this will count. Anyone who is in the City (well, anyone not currently residing in Malaysia, where there is no shortage of such dishes) should make a visit to Nyonya on 194 Grand Street:


From right to left: clams in chilli black bean sauce, beef rendang, salt and pepper squid, a bowl of (hainanese) chicken rice, kangkung belacan, and an empty plate for discarded clam shells.

Excluded from the photo (because it had already disappeared into my stomach) is a roti canai, served with a bowl of curry chicken that, I swear, I nearly wept upon tasting, since I don't think I've had curry chicken Malaysian-style (with lots of coconut) for yeaarrrrssss.


The food was fabulous generally--not spicy enough (only to be expected, I suppose), but beggars can't be choosers. I wanted to order chilli crab, but they had just run out of crab (literally--the next table to ours ordered the last one, the BASTARDS!).

Sorry there are no more photos--I did take my camera (as evident from above), but I keep forgetting to use it!

/J

10 Comments:

Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Good job janice!! Finally something non-pasta!! :)

The food looks EXTRA yummy!! Yummss.. Though you should come visit sometime and i'll make u some killer Malaysian food!!

~Al

1:31 PM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Oi--mail me the recipes lah. /J

4:15 PM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

j,
you can get quite good msian recipes from cyberkuali (http://kuali.com/). i've tried a few recipes from there and they seem to work well! the only problem would be ingredients which i can usually find in chinatown, but i think you mentioned you didn't have one, so next time you're in NY, i suggest you STOCK UP REAL good!
suannie

5:29 AM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Jan,

What do you like lah?!?!?!

I make one HELLUVA Laksa.. Do you like that?? But you need curry powder, belacan, lemon grass and coconut milk for that. Can you get hold of them?

Or, how about something REAL simple. Hainanese Chicken Rice?

~Al

10:33 AM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Al--aiyah, I already can make Hainanese Chicken Rice. Give me your laksa recipe! I can get all those things here.

Suan, thanks for the website. There's no chinatown, but there's a store selling chinese groceries here...they only get a shipment from the City twice a week though, and all the fresh food is always gone within 24 hours. Bloody vultures all...

/J

5:06 PM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

well then your place is NOT too shabby. perhaps you could be a little more kiasu like bloody vultures. what type of 'fresh food' sells out so quickly? chinese veggies etc?
suannie

2:25 AM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Laksa recipe to be posted this weekend then...

Make sure you can get mihun/mee, tau-fu-pok and bean sprouts! :)

~Al

6:25 AM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

Yup, things like kai lan, green onions, fish, prawns, fresh noodles, etc. ALL gone by the time I get there. The shipment comes in on Friday night--which loser grocery shops on Friday night????

/J

3:12 PM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

you have to then be a bigger loser and wait by at the grocer's on friday night to get the best pick of the shipment!! or early in the morning when the grocer opens...
suannie

1:31 PM  
Blogger Biatchy Bloggers said...

I agree with Suan. You gotta do what you gotta do. Be the biggest loser!! Kekeke

~Al

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home